There are many types of cardiovascular doctors. Those who are at high risk of heart disease or who have been diagnosed with heart disease will need to find a doctor who can both diagnose and treat them.
After you’ve been under the care of a doctor, you may need to see one or more specialists, depending on your health condition and needs. Cardiovascular specialists come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
* Cardiac Surgeons — Cardiac surgeons handle heart-related illnesses such as bypass surgery, valve repair and replacement, and heart transplants.
* Electrophysiologists – Electrophysiologists are doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating cardiac rhythm disorders such as atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia.
* Interventional Cardiologists — Interventional cardiologists specialize in diagnosing and treating heart disease through procedures such as angiography and stent placement performed in cardiac catheterization labs.
* Cardiologists that specialize in vascular medicine — Cardiologists who specialize in vascular medicine treat veins and arteries outside of the heart that can cause circulation difficulties in the arms and legs, sometimes known as peripheral vascular disease.
* Vascular Surgeons — Vascular surgeons deal with disorders involving the veins and arteries outside of the heart, as well as impaired circulation. Cardiac Anesthesiologists Intensivists — Cardiac anesthesiologists intensivists are in charge of the anesthesia aspects of cardiothoracic surgical cases like open-heart surgery and lung surgery.
*Cardio-oncologists are doctors who specialize in treating heart issues in cancer patients. Some chemotherapy drugs and radiation treatments are harmful to the heart. In the care of a patient who has received chest radiation or is taking a hazardous kind of chemotherapy, a cardio-oncologist can reduce cardiac risk and achieve the best possible outcome without hurting the heart.
* Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialists — After a heart attack, heart surgery, an interventional treatment, or a diagnosis of heart failure, cardiac rehabilitation specialists establish and oversee exercise and diet plans for patients.